[ic] [currency] convert=1 not implicit with alternate locale?!?!?

Barry Treahy, Jr. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Sep 2 21:21:02 2002

Kevin Walsh wrote:

>>I would expect that if the locale is set to anything other than the
>>default, that the currency tag would implicit perform conversion but
>>guess what, it doesn't.
>>
>>Rather than hand-edit a lot of the site, is there a flag I can set that
>>will make convert=1 a default for the currency tag?
>>
>>Really, is there any reason this isn't the norm anyway because even if
>>people aren't using multi-currency, the standard locale en_US with
>>pricevider set to 1 will have no effect on that user, but it sure is a
>>pain in the gasket for those of us that do use numerous currencies...
>>

>[currency] should not auto-convert for you.
>
>Consider this:
>
>    [currency]12.34[/currency]
>
>That will format 12.34 into something that looks like a localised
>price ($12.34 or £12.34 etc.).  If I want the 12.34 value to be
>converted into another currency, rather than just formatted, then
>I'll ask the tag to do that for me.
>
>If someone loads an (auto-converted) [item-price] into a scratch and
>then used a [calc] to adjust it for whatever reason, they wouldn't
>want the [currency] tag to automatically re-convert the price into
>what would then be an incorrect value.

Hi Kevin,

the point you missed is all of the locations in a site that use pricing
related fields.  At least based on the demo site and now our new site
which was built from the template, the amount of times I would need to
go in and place a [currency convert=1] around every price, subtotal,
total, shipping, taxation, etc. would be a giant mess where as if that
were the detail once a locale currency was set, it removes all of the
work and if by chance I needed to be able to calculate on a field, then
I could use [currency noconvert=1] on that one instance!

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr  *  Midwest Microwave  *  Vice President & CIO

E-mail: Treahy@mmaz.com * Phone: 480/314-1320 * FAX: 480/661-7028