[ic] Tax question - prices with tax already included

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Sep 3 02:20:05 2002

> In Australia we should list all prices with GST already included in the price.
> I would like to list all the prices ex GST and if someone logs in as an
> Australian user all the prices should include GST. In the future I will list
> international prices in US Dollars and Australian in AUS Dollars with GST
> included.

I would probably create a UserTag to do that sort of thing.  The usage
would be similar to the following:

  [addtax price="[item-price noformat=1]" notax="[item-field nontaxable]"]

The UserTag would collect the current "country" value (default to AU)
along with whatever other values are required (state?) and would then
re-use a block of code from the [fly-tax] tag to calculate the
appropriate result.

I would have the UserTag return a formatted currency value, unless
an optional noformat=1 is specified, which would avoid the need to
surround every call with [currency]...[/currency].

If the "notax" parameter is set to one of the "yes" values, or if no
tax applies to the invoice address, the price would be returned without
any additional tax.  ("Yes" values start with one of [yYtT1].)

> Even if the prices already include GST though, I still want to show the amount
> of GST that was added to the price on the checkout page.

This won't affect the price/postage/tax/total breakdown on the checkout
page.