[ic] why no cache when no cookies?

Joachim Leidinger interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Sep 3 15:04:01 2002

Grant wrote:
> I've been following the previous couple threads about turning off the cache
> when cookies are disabled in the user's browser.  What would you want to do
> that?  I'm wondering if a cache with no cookies might cause I problem I'm
> not forseeing....

I try to explain it, when should we disable or turning off the cache, if
cookies are disabled?

With my IE 6.0 (WIN2K), it will never reload a page, if the link or the
url is the same. But if you have added a page counter in all links/urls
of your catalogs (&mv_pc=1234) by IC itself, in some case, that will not
solve some kind of problem. For example a catalog with frames. If you
have a little small frames for displaying a small basket, which is
displaying the number of items ("You have 5 items in your basket"), this
page will not be up to date, if you have insert once more items in your
basket, if a JS have to reload that page in this or that frame.

If you have a horizontal frame at the top of your browser, which has a
logo with link/url to the start page and this start page display 2 items
per random, you will ever get the same two random items and that is
wrong, because it is comming from the browser cache.

Or you have a menu bar in one frame and the content of this menubar has
to be changed, if a user log in as a dealer in the main frame, the
menubar will not be changed, if it is cached by your browser and the URL
to be reloaded is exactly the same as before.

Hope it helps!

Joachim

--
Hans-Joachim Leidinger | Dipl.-Phys.Ing. Entwicklung eCommerce
[leidinger@bpanet.de]