[ic] FedEx Shipping Rates

Dan Browning interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Sep 4 15:21:00 2002

At 01:21 PM 9/4/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Quoting Mathew Jones (mat@booksellersolutions.com):
> >
> > > Having studied the fedex-query.tag file in 4.8.2/usertag/ and testing
> > > the link to fedex http://grd.fedex.com/cgi-bin/rrr2010.exe it appears
> > > that this link is no longer valid, and FedEx has changed the way to do
> > > lookups on their website. Just wondering if anyone has rewritten the
> > > fedex-query tag so it works? Or if anyone has a usertag which works with
> > > the Business::Fedex module?
> > >

> > After contacting fedex about this  dissapearing "rrr2010.exe" link I
> > received the following reply.
> >
> > ----------
> > The people that wrote Interchange wrote the module to get FedEx rates
> > without our knowledge.  The module got the rates in an unsupported way,
> > and we never knew that anyone was using this rrr2010.exe file.
> >
> > Interchange has been made aware of the correct way to get rates from our
> > server, and there should be an update available very soon.
> > ----------
> >
> > Did the team at interchange receive any Information from FedEx regarding
> >   the "correct" way to get rates? Are there plans to fix the fedex
> > shipping? If so, how long before the fix is released?
> >

>Wait just a minute. We didn't write the module, we took one contributed
>by a user and put it out with their blessing since it was not in CPAN.
>It seems to work for quite a few people, but there is certainly no
>regression testing going on with it.
>
>If you are running Interchange 4.8.2 with four versions released since
>then, and are bringing this to the list, I don't know what to say. As
>far as I know, July 27th a change was made in the URL and the updated
>software was released. I don't think anyone really wants to hear any
>questions about IC 4.8.2 and this issue.

This is true, but we need to be more specific about what we are talking
about here, Reid.  As Mike said, the URL was fixed in Business::FedEx quite
some time ago for next day air, standard overnight, etc.  However, FedEx
Ground is a completely different beast (in fact, it is an acquisition made
by FedEx), and uses a different URL (the rrr2010.exe referred to above).

That said, we hold these truths to be self-evident:

  * FedEx next-day and overnight work fine with the recent URL change as
Mike said (I tested it this very second).
  * FedEx ground has not worked since FedEx removed rrr2010.exe
  * FedEx probably lied to you about contacting "Interchange"
  * Anyone who finds out what the "new way" is encouraged to write a module
for it.

Cheers,

| Dan Browning, Kavod Technologies      <dan.browning@kavod.com> |
| (360) 882-7872 x7, 6700 NE 162nd Ave, Suite 210, Vancouver, WA |
Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing.
                 -- Walt Kelly, "Putluck Pogo"