[ic] matrix options editor description

Jeff Dafoe interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Sep 6 00:57:01 2002

    I have been using the matrix options editor (single widget) in 4.8.x an
apparently bizarre way.  I do not create any options or choices.  I manually
create each variant by entering each one into the bottom right area.  When I
press "OK", they appear at the top.  This allows me to maintain separate
pricing and inventory (with other minor mods elsewhere) for different sizes
of clothing.  Today I discovered that one is ideally supposed to create an
option named size and then choices for each size.  Once this is done, you
press "create all possible combinations" and the variants are all created.
I am not entirely certain that my terminology is correct for the elements I
am calling "options", "choices", and "variants", so correct anything that is
erroneous.
    The problem I am having is that, if I create variants the "proper" way,
I do not understand the relationship between the variants and the option
choices.  For example, I can go to the top and delete the "medium" variant.
However, I do not see any way to delete the "medium" option choice.  Also,
the inventory and price fields that appear on the bottom right when I move
the select box for the option do not seem to be tied to the inventory and
price that appears when I click on the SKU for one of my variants (which is
my actual price and inventory).  I do not seem to understand the
relationship between the choices at the bottom with their corresponding
prices and inventory and the variants at the top with their corresponding
prices and inventory.  If I can understand better what the theory is behind
the design then perhaps I can produce some sort of enhancement (if an issue
even exists) instead of just posting two paragraphs of blabber.

Jeff