[ic] How do you write your code?

Jeff Dafoe interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Sep 9 11:39:01 2002

> >From what I've read, Interchange is supposed to seperate the "three
spheres
> of influence''.  However as far as the "html" as they call it goes, it
gets
> a little carried away with templates, tags, themes, and imbedded code that
> is not compatible with industry standard design tools, ie Dreamweaver. No
> designer would ever figure this system, nor should they be expected to.
The
> design would still have to submitted to a developer where it could be
> integrated into the store. Relating to physics, the bigger the mass of a
> body (the sphere) the stronger the gravitational field -- looks like these
> "three spheres" are pulled together and starting to merge.

    I don't know if I would call Dreamweaver an industry-standard design
tool.  If we use the term "industry-standard", then the industry-standard
tools would be photoshop for design, then a text editor for html coding,
then another text editor for tag integration.  The three-step process you
mention is the same one used by large design houses, so it isn't unusual.
    I think part of the "merging" you mention is just exclusive to the
foundation templates.  If one took the time to put some of the code present
in components like "cart" and pages like "checkout" into a usertag or in the
catalog.cfg file, then you would probably only have basic conditionals,
looping, and data-retrieval ITL tags left in the template files.  Then most,
if not all, of the templates should be within any decent html monkey's
ability to work with.

Jeff