[ic] How do you write your code?

Mon Sep 9 12:25:01 2002

Quoting Schuyler W Langdon (gorditos@hotmail.com):
> > Quoting Mike Heins (mike@perusion.com):
> > > Quoting Philip S. Hempel (pshempel@linuxhardcore.com):
> > > >

> > > As with many things, if you fight it you hate it. If you surrender to
> it,
> > > you love it. 8-)
> > >
> > > For those who are Vim 6.0 users (like I enthusiastically am), I have
> > > included a syntax file which extends syntax coloring to cover most of
> > > the core IC tags.
> > >
> > > Basically, it will highlight all ITL-like code, and it will color/bold
> > > the tag or argument differently if it recognizes it or not. It is not
> > > difficult to add or subtract the tag names or arguments
> > >

> > Oops, I forgot to attach it. To use it, just copy it to
> >
> > /usr/share/vim/vimNN/syntax/ichtml.vim
> >
> > and use ":set syntax=ichtml" after turning on the syntax coloring
> > with ":syntax on".
> >

> >From what I've read, Interchange is supposed to seperate the "three spheres
> of influence''.  However as far as the "html" as they call it goes, it gets
> a little carried away with templates, tags, themes, and imbedded code that
> is not compatible with industry standard design tools, ie Dreamweaver. No
> designer would ever figure this system, nor should they be expected to. The
> design would still have to submitted to a developer where it could be
> integrated into the store. Relating to physics, the bigger the mass of a
> body (the sphere) the stronger the gravitational field -- looks like these
> "three spheres" are pulled together and starting to merge.

I think we should get rid of that verbiage, for it was marketing-ese and
ever more a goal more than a reality. In short, you are correct, though
they were always merged.

Note that you are not constrained to using the templating system as used
in the foundation demo -- it is quite possible to design page structures
that are much more compatible with WYSIWIG editors. That that has never
been done is a testament mostly to the fact that I never use WYSIWIG.

For years I have been waiting for an HTML editor that doesn't impose
*its* strictures on the server-side design. I tried FrontPage with some
extension VBA; there were so many bugs and gotchas in that code I gave
up there.

I looked at DreamWeaver. DreamWeaver had some pretty neat stuff with its
JavaScript extensions. I never had time to work on it, though, and was
hesitant to dedicate so much effort to such a small market segment.

I have had several people say that they were working on such a thing,
but nothing ever got done.

The direction I am moving in the content area is toward making each
piece editable and publishable by Mozilla composer, with relative links
so that simple content can be brought up and integrated into the dynamic
pages without too much trouble. This is for lack of a better
alternative, and is a long-term goal. No one should expect it to bear
fruit too soon...

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon