[ic] save cart question

Mon Sep 9 12:33:01 2002

Quoting Dennis Chen (dchen@technicacorp.com):
> Hi All,
>
> Just want to get some feedback on this.  I am developing a store that sells
> high end computer hardware (ie. Nortel equipment) and if a customer needs
> a custom configuration, would it be better to log in as the customer
> and select the relevant equipment and save the cart for them or build a cart
> and save it through the admin (which would require quite abit of work)?
> Or perhaps customize the entry.html with and extra button to save it to
> the customer's cart?  How difficult would that be?

It wouldn't be difficult any of those ways. With the new [su ...] tag in
4.9 that allows you to switch identities to a user id, it might be
easiest just to switch to that user and do the work, then come back.

As far as difficulty, it isn't difficult for a highly-competent IC guy,
but might be difficult for the new user. I would think a couple of hours
of consulting time from any of the top IC consultants would go a long
way toward it.

Personally, I would go the direction of having the salesman gen a
configuration to a "quotes" table as a string, then give the customer a
URL that they can retrieve that as their cart. That way you can
define carts that aren't tied to a particular user and don't need
to know their username ahead of time.

> Also, is there a way to leave the current cart in the session after clicking
> on
> "Save Cart"?

No, but you can go get it again. 8-)

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

I have a cop friend who thinks he ought be able to give a new ticket;
"too dumb for conditions".