[ic] Perl 5.8.0 + Interchange Clustering locking issues

Mon Sep 9 23:32:00 2002

Quoting Dan Browning (dbml@kavod.com):
> At 10:01 PM 9/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:

> >How do you know that is perl related and not NFS or NFS3?
>
> It could be a NFS configuration problem, but here is what I know:
>
>   * 5.6.1 works fine for our cluster (NFS)
>
>   * Barry doesn't use NFS, neither does he have a cluster, but is
>     experiencing the same problem with 5.8.0.
>
> >At least
> >in debian world, NFS defaults just changed to sync from async.  Perl
> >changed from unthreaded to threaded.
>
> That was gutsy, but I guess the threading is supposed to be a lot better in
> 5.8.x.  Of course, I've known Debian to be everything except gutsy, so...

Interchange does not like a threaded Perl, I can tell you that much. Of
course that was with the old threads model, so if you have those defined
I would undef them real quick. I doubt you do though, because IC won't
even start with -DUSE_THREADS on Perl 5.6, depending on the phase of the
moon.

But I suspect the problems have to do with changed signal code -- I hope
for our sake that every OS doesn't start having the signal problems
we have with BSD....

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.