[ic] Carriage returns entered in a field corrupt data in table

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Sep 10 10:16:02 2002

At 07:10 PM 9/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am running IC4.8.5 using default db and have a memo
>field in a table which people can write to, like a
>guestbook. People want to be able to use carriage
>returns so their info will display with paragraph
>breaks, etc., however, when I download the table to my
>local computer and import it into MS Access, the data
>is corrupt, of course, from all the CR's.
>
>Does anybody have any recomendations on how I should
>deal with this? What have others done? What
>information should I be looking for when searching
>archives? I've searched several times without finding
>any info on this.
>
>TIA
>
>SKR

My first suggestion would be: don't use Access ;-). But since that advice
is unlikely to be taken, the thing I usually do is strip the CR's or better
yet, replace them with <br> tags, which gives you the formatting the person
had in mind when you display the data later. Take a look at the text2html
filter:

http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/ic/docfly.html?mv_arg=ictags04.28

- Ed L.

Increase profits from your Interchange store...
http://www.newmediaems.com/cgi-bin/nm/software_fus.html
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax