[ic] Carriage returns entered in a field corrupt data in table

SofaKingRotten interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Sep 10 14:47:01 2002

At 07:10 PM 9/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am running IC4.8.5 using default db and have a memo
>field in a table which people can write to, like a
>guestbook. People want to be able to use carriage
>returns so their info will display with paragraph
>breaks, etc., however, when I download the table to
my
>local computer and import it into MS Access, the data
>is corrupt, of course, from all the CR's.
>
>Does anybody have any recomendations on how I should
>deal with this? What have others done? What
>information should I be looking for when searching
>archives? I've searched several times without finding
>any info on this.
>
>TIA
>
>SKR

My first suggestion would be: don't use Access ;-).
But since that advice
is unlikely to be taken, the thing I usually do is
strip the CR's or better
yet, replace them with <br> tags, which gives you the
formatting the person
had in mind when you display the data later. Take a
look at the text2html
filter:

http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/ic/docfly.html?mv_arg=ictags04.28
______________________

Thank you Ed! In trying to store my data without
carriage returns and replacing them with <br>, I got
it to filter when adding data to the field from the
admin, changing the meta of my 'notes' field to filter
with ' Simple text2html'. However, when trying to use
it with a 'text area' on a IC page, these examples
from the docs do not filter, and no errors reported:

<textarea name="notes" rows="20" cols="40"
filter="name text2html">[value notes]</textarea>

<textarea name="notes" rows="20" cols="40"
filter="text2html">[value notes]</textarea>

<textarea name="notes" rows="20" cols="40">[value
notes filter="name text2html"]</textarea>

<textarea name="notes" rows="20" cols="40">[value
notes filter="text2html"]</textarea>

<textarea name="notes" rows="20" cols="40">[filter
op="name text2html"][value notes][/filter]</textarea>

[filter op="name text2html"][<textarea name="notes"
rows="20" cols="40">value notes]</textarea>[/filter]

Any other ideas to make this textarea filter?

Will using an sql table contain the data within the
field so I can import it into MS Access?

Thanks again!

SKR

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute