[ic] making a link for previous page

Barry Treahy, Jr. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Sep 12 13:17:00 2002

Thanh Luong wrote:

>How do I make a link for previous page.
>I tried looking throught the archives and
>documentation and this was the best thing I found.

>me back to my index page
>I think it probably has something to do with the [scan
>history] or [history-scan] but I am not sure how to
>use them.  I couldnt find much info on those topics.
>
>Basically how do I get the value for the previous url.
>What I really want to do is something like this:
>[if prev_url=some_url]
>[then] display some text message
>[/then]
>[else]display some other message
>[/else]
>[/if]

Presuming you do not want to use javascript, you can use the
history-scan tag like below:

[button
  text="Return to Search Parameters"
  src="__THEME__/SearchReturn.gif"
    hidetext=1
    form=search_return
]
  [bounce href='[history-scan
exclude="^/ord|^/multi/|^/process|search|^/scan" default=main]']
  mv_nextpage=nothing
[/button]

The problem with your example is that it breaks down fast if your site
is a depth greater than two.  For example if you have clicked into three
pages in depth, which page is going to be the value of prev_url?  The
last page but when you return to that last page, the prev_url will no
longer point to that page's prior page but rather it's self...

Barry