[ic] Re: Arg, just shoot me and put me out of my misery!

Dan Fillpot interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Sep 17 15:26:00 2002

Barry Treahy, Jr. wrote:

> cfm@maine.com wrote:

>>> Is there an error message before that at about the same time ?
>>
>> w2k?
>>

> Oh, pleeeeeassseeee!!!  I'm the furthest from being a MS zealot that
> you can find, give me VMS, Linux, Unix (in that order)...
> I only us W2K where it simply cannot be avoided, which is rapidly
> changing as I recently issued a corporate mandate that we would not
> move to any XP product, so we are seriously evaluating other open
> source tools, as well as the two major desktops for Linux.  The major
> snag is that we do still have some older software (ie, EDI) that will
> ONLY run under DOS or the older Win32, as well as engineering design
> software which only runs on the NT style kernel and these programs are
> proving to be a major hassle...
>
> Regards,
>
> Barry

Check out VMWare, www.vmware.com i think,  run a Linux host OS and run
Windows sessions on top of it when you need to run those older
applications. Plus, you can move Windows installations from machine to
machine without having to change ANYTHING.