[ic] Questions Regarding Interchange 4.9

Wed Sep 18 01:32:00 2002

Quoting Matthew Villa (matt@1percent.com):
> What's the anticipated release date for Interchange 4.9?

Honest answer -- we don't know. 4.9 is released, but 5.0 is what
you are thinking of, the stable release version.

> Will much work be involved from upgrading from Interchange 4.8 to 4.9?
> What would be involved to upgrade to a newer version?

Not much work should be involved unless you have a custom UI. There
will be some UI differences, but we hope most are positive changes.

There are a few of us who have done 4.8 -> 4.9 migrations; I have
had very good luck, but then I tend to. 8-)

I have also done a couple of Minivend 3 -> 4.9, one Minivend 4 -> 4.9,
and one Minivend 4.5.8 -> 4.9. Except for UI stuff, all was very
compatible within the fours. The production catalogs should pretty
much just run. The UI may look and behave a bit different, but even
that should be fairly painless unless you customized a lot.

Since you can run 4.8 and 4.9 side-by-side, I encourage you to try it
out. Just change your URL and DSN, copy the catalog directory and
database over, and go. You might want to make your share directory and
URL be /ic49/ instead of /interchange/, though.

Of course if you want to use the new features, that is another thing.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Dick Feynman