[ic] interchange boging down system?!!?!?

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Sep 18 08:43:03 2002

Blair Campbell [blairacampbell@shaw.ca] wrote:

> My whole computer that's set up to run my server was starting to run very
> slow. I have a pent 400 256ram. I finally shut interchange off (by
> rebooting) and it started to run great again.

Perhaps an upgrade from your P400 to a Pentium II, III or better would
be helpful.  Interchange runs just fine on my test P200 box with 128MB
memory, but there's no way that I'd ever connect that directly to the
public Internet; it's good for "performance tests", but I wouldn't use
it for anything else.

There are various diagnostic tools you can use to find out which
processes are eating memory and which are eating processor time.
You'll need to know which application is to blame before you can begin
to diagnose the problem.  A good tool to start with is probably "top".

If a reboot fixes your server every time, then perhaps you'll find that
it's running MS Windows instead of a UNIX-related O/S (you didn't say),
in which case I have no idea.  Perhaps you could restart Interchange
without restarting the entire O/S, which may give some indication as to
whether Interchange is involved in the slowdown.

Have fun.