[ic] virtual hosts

John Allman interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Sep 19 04:50:04 2002

Caleb Phillips wrote:

>yikes. dont do anything you arn't confortable with. You need to do one
>of two things:
>
>1) Follow John's advice, and use the apache manual(try www.apache.org)
>for reference. Their virtual-host section is very helpful. or...
>
>2) Do a google search for META redirect, and just put an index.html file
>where the doc-root index is now to redirect to
>/cgi-bin/catname/index.html. And forget about trying to do things the
>hard way.
>
>Good Luck.

Actually that's a good point. If you're not happing mucking about with
apache - that's the way to go. Change DocumentRoot back to /var/www/html
and in /var/www/html create a file called index.html that redirects to
/cgi-bin/sam/index.html. As Caleb says, googling should pop up the answer.

Actually I had a look on your behalf (i'm feeling a little benevolent
today). i found the following at http://www.topwebsite.co.uk/metatags.shtml:
*
*Refresh - Instructs browsers to redirect to another page. This happens
after a number of seconds specified in the content value. Setting that
value to "0" will create an instant redirect. Beware search engines
don't like these refresh meta tags.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="5; url=yourpage.html">

So i guess it's your call. Personally I would do it the apache way. To
be all grammatical, it's more right. I'm not 100% sure but i *think*
changing DocumentRoot to /var/www/html, creating a ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/
/var/www/cgi-bin/ line and changing DirectoryIndex to
/cgi-bin/sam/index.html will make it work. You can try it and if it
doesn't, read up on the apache configuration as Caleb suggests. Im
thinking you could even do this with your apache configuration tool
(i've never used it). Were you ever able to see the interchange pages?
If so, the ScriptAlias line may not be neccessary as you may have
something already taking care of that for you.

hope this is some help!

John