[ic] Want (Need) More Group Tour Business

Jim Balcom interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Sep 19 21:00:01 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Mike Heins wrote:

MH>>Everyone should complain to abuse@verio.net about this one. I also
MH>>suggest calling the spammer and telling them what you think of them.
MH>>I did. They are thieves and criminals, and should have a lot of people
MH>>tell them that.

I have made several complaints to Verio and the response that I get back is
that if I am not an actual customer of theirs, or the actual originator is
not a customer of theirs that they will do nothing.

I was given a hack to Sendmail.

This hack looks at the IP address of the system that is trying to contact
me. If it can not do a reverse look-up on that IP address, it rejects the
mail. Most spammers are gathering up Class C's like baseball cards and I
have to fight tooth and nail to get one. They set up the IP's with the bare
minimum to get on the air and don't bother with the reverse look-up.
(Perhaps they don't know how?)

Verio does not set up reverse addresses, or at least they haven't for the IP
address that this list is running at. For that I go into /etc/mail/access
and add the IP address a being OK.

For the IP's that do get through I add their IP address to /etc/mail/access
with a 550 code that rejects their mail.

I tend to block the entire Class C address in the access file, and I block
every Verio address that I find.

All e-mails to abuse@AOL are being sent to /dev/null

I'm down to about 4 spams a day, and I can see, what seems like, 100 a day
being blocked.

Mail to Pacbell.net, swbell.net, nexxia.net and a few others are taken VERY
seriously.

MH>>users send spam with naught but a slap on the wrist. There is no excuse
MH>>for spamming in this day and age.

AMEN!

-= Jim =-

                   .-.
                   /v\
                  // \\
                 /(   )\
                 ^^ - ^^
          > Phear the Penguin <
              L  I  N  U  X

Tagline for Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 20:45 PM:
LOTUS - Let Only The Users Suffer

This Linux System has been up 182 hours