[ic] Customer coupons?

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Sep 20 17:33:59 2002

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 04:38:47PM -0400, Amelie Walker wrote:
> I have a question about the customer being able to have a code that
> they can enter to get a general % discount.
>
> This works to give everybody a 10% discount:
>
> [discount ALL_ITEMS] $s * .9 [/discount]
>
> Just sticking the above code in the cart will give anyone and
> everyone a discount, but that is not what my client wants.
>
> How can I make it work by a coupon that the customer would enter?

Set up a form where customer enters a code and some sort of
a coupon database.  Validate the coupon to the database and
set the discount if it is.

If they enter ABCD and ABCD is in the database (SELECT asdf WHERE
xyz='ABCd') then give them the discount, otherwise not.

Once you get that done, you'll be able to think of all sorts of
ways to complicate your life with coupons.

Bear in mind that some "coupons" might represent real liabilities
to the merchant (if you sell cash coupons, eg "gift certificates")
and make sure you have a way to distinguish those.