[ic] divine, Inc. patent infringements

Fri Sep 20 18:32:00 2002

Quoting Jim Balcom (jim@idk-enterprises.com):
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Ed LaFrance wrote:
>
> EL>>I have no doubt that the only reason they are bothering with a relatively
> EL>>small case like yours it that they think you will cave in easily, which
> EL>>will give them precedent when chasing larger game. The USPTO has taken to
>
> The problem is that it is cheaper for Charles to pay them the $5,000 for the
> license than to hire a lawyer to protest it.

I disagree. You can appear pro se in a case like this too. All you have to
do is show up and tell your side of the story. If it looks like the
judge will rule against you, request a continuance to obtain an attorney.

I doubt they will bring it to court. If they try to do it in a
state you don't do business in, I *think* you can just about laugh
at them.

In any case, I would obtain advice from an attorney but not ask one to
appear for you. Should they file suit, you can deal with it then.

Of course IANAL, and don't think that I am.

I hope the slimy blackmailers contact me, but I suspect they are going
after only people in California or whatever state they are in.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Just because something is obviously happening doesn't mean something
obvious is happening. --Larry Wall