[ic] pgsql loops when importing products via the Admin Interface.

Brian Kosick interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Sep 23 16:36:02 2002

At 03:54 PM 9/23/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Quoting Brian Kosick (briank@nacs.net):
> > Hello All,
> >          I have this really strange problems, that only occurs when I'm
> > trying to import a new text file through the UI.  Here's my setup
> > RH7.3 SMP 4-Way(latest updates)
> > perl 5.6.1
> > IC 4.8.6-1 (rpm'ed)
> >    rpc (it behaves the same in low or high also)
> >    MaxServers          0
> >    PreFork             Yes
> >    StartServers        12
> >    MaxRequestsPerChild 100
> >    HouseKeeping        2
> >    PIDcheck            600
> > Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink (via CPAN)
> >
> > When I upload a new products.txt via the admin UI, I'll watch the pgsql
> > log.  Not only does it take a long time to upload (1,200 items in 7
>
>Postgres import for a large number of items in 4.8.6 is problematical
>because we don't turn off AutoCommit.
>
>If you add:
>
>     [flag type=transactions table=products]
>
>before the call to [import-fields ...], and
>
>     [flag type=commit table=products]
>
>after the call, you should see a marked improvement (an order of magnitude or
>more).
>
>In 4.9.1, Dan Browning improved the import-fields tag as well, cutting
>the number of updates by an order of magnitude or more.
>
>As with many things that I pass along, I only know about them because one
>of my clients paid to get me to solve this for them. I am grateful for
>my clients, and many of you should be too. 8-)
>
>--
>Mike Heins
>Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting    http://www.perusion.com/
>phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>
>
>Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock

Thanks Mike, I added that, and it imports MUCH faster now, and the table
import page now comes back successful at least, but postgres, still
loops!  I'm going to try the debugging code in the cose, and the 4.9.1
import_table file.

Brian Kosick
Web Programmer
New Age Consulting Service, Inc.