[ic] rewite rules killed images - and cookies

DB interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Sep 23 18:38:01 2002

> Rewrite rules
>
>  >         RewriteRule ^$ /cgi-bin/vlink/index.html [PT,L]
>  >         RewriteRule ^/$ /cgi-bin/vlink/index.html [PT,L]
>  >         RewriteRule
> ^/index\.html$/cgi-bin/vlink/index.html [PT,L]
>  >        RewriteRule ^/cgi-bin/vlink/.* - [PT,L]
>  >         RewriteRule ^/.*images/.* - [PT,L]
>  >        RewriteRule ^/(.*) /cgi-bin/vlink/$1 [PT,L]
>

> Does this affect the cookies?
>
> I am testing the rewrite rules that had been on the list
> previously but I have yet to ever get the cookies
> to works since all of them are pointing to the wrong file
>
> Try using lynx and point it to your domain, it will say
> that cookie is invalid. All other browsers fail quitely
> and as well does IC since your cookie you would have gotten
> came from the wrong path. So the only supported setup like
> this so far is a non-cookie session.
>
> If you have any ideas let me know.
> Cookies are important since this then removes the
> need for the session id in the url
>
> like the
>
> path.html?id=akjidk78d
>
> look at your own pages and you will see this to
> be true, all links are with id= since the cookie
> path would be invalid
>
> I was thinking there would be a way to define
> a scriptalismatch that would work with this
> a then allow me to define the catalog link
> to point to the root "/" instead of "/cgi-bin/store"

When I visit my site with lynx, I do see the error message that you
mentioned. When I visit my site www.m-and-d.com with Mozilla 1.1, I see
two cookies assigned from my site.  The two cookies appear identical
except for their paths. One has a path=/MDS and the other has
path=/cgi-bin/MDS. I don't know much about cookies yet... is this
behavior a problem?

DB