[ic] Search engines summary?

Grant interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Sep 24 13:28:23 2002

>One thing to pay attention to is your logs. See how far
>google goes into your page. Make aliases to old pages to the
>new ones in your apache config. Don't let any of your old
>links comming in show up as not available. So doing a
>modrwrite with it telling the engines the old pages have
>moved to the new onse will always help. If need be make
>static pages for the old pages that then have links that
>go into the new site.

Just an addition to this....  I recently spent some time setting up the
RedirectPermanent directive in my .htaccess file so all of my old pages will
be instantly redirected to my new ones.  It works great.  Here's a link for
more info on that directive:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html

- Grant