[ic] Upgrading to SQL Database

Barry Treahy, Jr. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Sep 25 12:44:01 2002

John Beima wrote:

>Quoting "Barry Treahy, Jr." <Treahy@MMaz.com>:
>
>>  >    I have a theory as to why it is problematic sometimes, at least for
>>  >postgresql, but I am not certain that I am correct.  It looks like the
>>  >structures in dbconf/pgsql are missing fields that are in some of the
>>tables
>>  >that come with the Foundation store.  So when interchange tries to use
>>this
>>  >to create tables there are subsequently errors when the attempt to
>>import
>>  >the corresponding txt files is made.
>>  >
>>  >
>>I'm not sure that this is so much the case as I believe I read that IC
>>defaults to a CHAR(128) field for each undefined columns.  What kept
>>biting me in the back side were fields I wanted more control over,
>>specifically numeric or decimal fields, and that IC (or perhaps mysql)
>>would choke and die on the load if the field were null which is not a
>>behavior I found real friendly...
>>

>You have all the control you need. The problem is YOU are not updating your
>dbconf files.
>
>This should ALWAYS be done, no matter if you are using gdbm, MySQL, PostGRESQL,
>or Oracle.
>
>If you make ANY format change to your database structure, Interchange just can't
>GUESS as to what it is, you have to tell it.

Hi John,

yes, I know that but the IC docs do state that:

" The table will be created. If there are COLUMN_DEF specifications in
catalog.cfg, they will be used. Otherwise, the key (first field in the
text file by default) will be created with a char(16) type and all other
fields will be created as char(128). The table creation statement will
be written to the error.log file."

which was what I pointed out to the prior post about missing fields...
 I was simply attempting to point out that if you are specific about
columns, in particular making them numeric, decimal, and so on, that
either/or IC/mysql does not like to see rows with null columns for
these explicitly defined fields...

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr  *  Midwest Microwave  *  Vice President & CIO

E-mail: Treahy@mmaz.com * Phone: 480/314-1320 * FAX: 480/661-7028