[ic] Interchange, RedHat & the future

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Sep 27 15:41:01 2002

Miles Clark wrote:
> Hi All -
>
> I'm new to Interchange, and am evaluating it as a commerce
> platform for
> my company.  I had a few general questions that I'd through
> out to the
> list & see if anyone had any input.
>
> * How scalable is Interchange?  Has it been used in production with
> 20,000 - 30,000 products?  How'd it perform?

I currently have a production store with over 42,000 items on IC 4.8.3
I have never been happier, things are running beautifully.  If you are
on
high-speed internet, any searches take approx 2 seconds

> * How customizable/extendable is Interchange?  How difficult is it to
> add new ITL tags?  Create a library of templates that customers can
> select from?  Add new payment processors?  Integrate with other web
> services (particularly J2EE services)?

depends on how long you have worked with IC in my opinion.  I have
worked w/ IC for approx 1 yr. and have recently made a totally
unique store with quite a few features by just modifying Foundation
to death.  in a word, *very* customizable.  however, for me, only after
extensive work do I now feel comfortable totally transforming the
content

> * What are Interchange's weak spots?

seems to be liberal in its use of memory, but I do not have anything
to compare it to.

> What I'm looking for is a little advocacy.  So far, I've been really
> impressed, but would like to know what issues I'm likely to run into
> should we commit to the product.
>
> One other question - as I was scanning the lists, I noticed
> that RedHat
> disbanded it's ecommerce division (& active support of
> Interchange) this
> last summer.  Why?  Were there issues with Interchange specifically?
>  Did they find a replacement they liked better? General
> business climate?

Im not real sure, but I know that there are some brilliant guys that
seem very dedicated to keeping this product going.

> Thanks in advance for any input!
>
> Miles

   Sincerely,
Aaron Hazelton