[ic] database table redesign

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Apr 4 21:24:00 2003

> I was wondering if anyone has ever thought of redesigning the
> interchange table designs? They don't appear to be well normalized.
> I understand that IC can run on anything from text files to rdbms, so I
> was wondering if the tables aren't normalized because of a limitation
> due to the text or dbm tables or because it would just be too large a
> project. If anyone has any insight into how big a project this would be
> to really clean up the table designs for optimial usage by an rdbms like
> Oracle I would be interested in hearing from you.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

I am sure some things could be improved. However I think you will have a
(big) headache upgrading WRT ADMIN if you make extensive changes. Said that,
remember tables like transactions and orderline offer historical and archive
values. Kind of like a "paper trail" for dispute resolutions and accurate
record keeping.

extreme 3nf I think is more for a specific application, and not just any
software that utilizes a rdb. Try 2.5NF

;)

Paul