[ic] e-commerce set-up help

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Apr 11 18:56:01 2003

> My site is hosted by gisol, and I'm trying to set up my site for
> e-commerce.  Their support says that they can't help me; that I have to
> contact interchange.    When I log into interchange, I do get the sample
> site, but I do not understand how to modify it to meet my needs.  I've
> found links on your site for templates, but not how to modify them.
> Plus, everything is geared toward people who have the program residing
> on their own system, and not through web hosting system.  Do I need to
> get the software in order to create the e-commerce site?  I was under
> the impression when I bought my site that I did not (yes, I realize this
> is a point to take up with them).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Jessica

Hi Jessica

Sounds like your host is providing Interchange via CPanel.
http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/ic/cpanel.html

You can modify all aspects of Interchange in ADMIN, and more specifically
the pages via the "Content" tab. There is a built in editor to edit the
pages, the templates, and the components. It is a little awkward, depending
on which version you have.

I don't think most people here have IC on "their" systems, as in local, but
they are most likely interfacing with their web space via ssh (putty.exe is
popular and free), and vi or vim... which puts you right in the drivers
seat, no matter where your system is. I know one of the developers also
likes to use some editor feature that is built into Mozilla, the browser...
(can't vouch for it)

At any rate, I suggest you read the FAQ for starters
http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/ic/documentation.html?document=icfaq

Then maybe peruse a couple of these:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/ic/documentation.html?open=

In short, most installs against CPanel are destined for a migraine, esp
being new to this. However I believe there are a few providers that do
provide accurate CPanel + IC marriage. One of he hosts is on this list, I
think his name is David... or Tom... with MSI. Said that www.newmediaems.com
has CPanelless implements and are very reliable.

Working with IC can be easy, there is a steep initial learning curve, but
for the most part, that is brief, and things become clearer with a little
effort.

HTH
Paul