[ic] interchange and thread enabled Perl

interchange-users@icdevgroup.org interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Apr 15 09:47:00 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:50:38AM -0400, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Toni Mueller (support-ic@oeko.net):
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just wanted to play with the latest interchange nightly, and got
> > an error message from 'configure':
> >
> > 	"Interchange will not work with a thread-enabled perl."
> >
> > Tested with Interchange 4.9.7-200304140658 and perl 5.8.0-17 (on i386).
> >
> > I guess that thread enabled Perl will become more common in the
> > near future.
> >
> It appears that Perl 5.8.0's ithread implementation is much better than
> previous ones, which wouldn't even begin to run Interchange properly.
> But it is not good enough to work well under all conditions. Randy
> Moore of the core group discovered a case where vec() lost its map, and
> I am positive there are many other little problems especially in
> PreFork mode. Interchange pushes Perl pretty hard.
>
> In fact, I wouldn't doubt that some of the locking problems people
> are now having on Red Hat weren't due to this; I run some very
> busy IC sites and don't see them at all.

FWIW, Debian perl (unstable) is threaded, so yes, I think it's only a
matter of a little time before most packages distribute threaded perl:

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
  Platform:
      osname=linux, osvers=2.4.19, archname=i386-linux-thread-multi
  Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT