[ic] Hijacking Threads (Was: __DOCROOT__ value in UserTag)

John Young interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Apr 18 16:26:00 2003

Doug Alcorn wrote:

> The subject line is only loosely related to the threading.  Every mail
> message has a message-id.  When you "reply" or "followup" to a
> message, you client is supposed to put a References header with the
> message-id of the message you are replying to.  This isn't "being
> clever", it's following standards.  If you simply replace the subject
> line with something new, you are "hijacking" the thread.
[...more paragraphs deleted...]

Nice explanation, Doug.  I'm wondering, however, how those of
us that are subscribed in digest mode are to reply to an existing
thread (if not by a reply to the digest or new message with the
appropriate subject pasted in)... we don't receive message-id's
for each embedded message.  Perhaps us digest folks should
remain silent.  ;-)

John Young