[ic] howto do if file exists

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sun Apr 20 01:22:59 2003

> Aha, there is one. I think ReiserFS is a default option for Linux
> "mkfs", so that would be viable.
>
> Still in all, it might be nice to have some management for images in IC.
> I was thinking of:
>
>     1. Images table in database.
>
>     2. The image tag checks for file, if not gives URL to IC-based page
>        that pulls image from table and writes to file system.
>
>     3. Optional entry to map image to hashed directory.
>
>     4. External check script (just DBI) which removes directory and
>        rewrites all images in hashed directories based on some algorithm
>        -- and saves results appropriately in products table.
>
>     5. The reverse script which pulls in an image directory to the
>        table; must have "items" and "thumb" directory to read which are
>        product images and which are regular images.
>
>     6. Auto thumbnail generation.
>
>     7. Change image upload to go to image table instead of to file
>        system.
>
> It would probably take me about a day to get it mostly done; but it
> would take 4 or 5 more days to document and refine and test. It would be
> too much of a support hassle for the list with the amount of time I can
> afford to spend on it, so I probably shouldn't do it. 8-}

What is this discussion about? Is there really a degradation directly
proportionate only to the number of files in a directory? Or is there
another force (traffic?)

#2 #5? Are these just two sides of the same coin? Those that choose to store
in table, or those that choose to store in a dir? Or, if I understand #2, it
would allow for a mixture of both...

This seems like alot more work (for IC) (no?) but if there are strong
arguments for improvement in this area, I would like to hear more about this
bullet list. limits? If someone NEVER needs to check [if] the image is
there, does it make a difference?

Also, as for the last statement, has the devgroup thought about having a
list (forum tag?) for devgroup members, or registered users to post (larger)
jobs? I say this because (as per the above) a few days of [email-param
consultant] time can cost more than a can of pepper. I wouldn't mind seeing
a place that had jobs that were > $1000 and had the ability to pool money
together (users). So, a few people who are interested can bid/pitch in
$500... Maybe it could be a place for the IC users to collaborate, and hash
out their own consortium paid jobs?? I know I would be interested in making
my money go farther... and would spend more if I knew I was getting a well
hashed out idea (multi users input) and exponentially more value directly
proportionate to the money I spend....

I really think alot more could get paid for if the cost came down for the
40% that *would* pay, as opposed to the 10% that *can* pay. (if this is
un-opensource like, sorry, but it seems to make sense)

Anyways, I barely know about the above, but it sounds like something I would
like to pool money into...

Just an idea.

Paul