[ic] Question regarding Installation and other Issues...

Interchange Development interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Apr 29 09:58:00 2003

Hi all,

I am new to Interchange, and I do not know if this is the correct way to
post to the mailing list.  If not, sorry.  Please advise if not. Thanks!

Anyway, I am trying to install, make catalog and run Interchange server.
 I have several problems that have been addressed on the discussion list.

My setup:

Red Hat Linux 9.0 Pro
Apache 2.0
Interchange 4.8.7
localhost/127.0.0.1

I have tried to install as follows:

RPM as root
RPM as regular os user with enough privs
tar install as root
tar install as regular os user

My main problems:

On RPM intall I get unsatified dependencies for some perl modules:

Business-UPS
MD5
Storable
SQL-Statement

(others have had this as well)

I tried every which way to resolve by loading LWP bundle, individual
modules from CPAN.  I get no errors after

unpack
make
make test
make intall

I run which perl (5.8.0), perl -v, perl -V.  They give correct info/paths.

I run a perl script including all modules RPM complains about, and they
are all OK.  Could I have wrong versions????

I run rpm with --nodeps and, of course, it completes with no errors.

/usr/lib/perl is there

I run makecat and all is OK.

When I try to access foundation, I get the welcome/entrance page.  I
access catalog, and the link script hangs with:

"We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
We are out of service or may be experiencing high system demand. Please
try again soon."

I looked at link program -- could not open socket is error for this message.

I thought it was firewall, naming, etc., UNIX/INET/NONE(port: 7786).

I see from the list and code comments this is usually firewall or port
conflict.  Not so in my case. I wrote a quick java server, and link
program reaches him on 7786 fine.  I access 7786 from outside firewall
(ok), shut down firewall (ok).  I have tried every combination I could
think.  Nothing works.

Interchange process starts and stops with /bin/interchange -xxxx, and a
process is showing in  $> ps -A

Of course it gives the funky:

Server not running... probably temrinated.... lingo  -- definitely not
starting/initing correctly.

I make sure process is killed before restarting.

Also, I am sure about fairly certain about file permissions and those
issues, and I do not think this is the issue.

Interchange logs and apache logs -- no complaints either.

QUESTION:

Considering that the server starts but does not bind 7786 (I have tried
UNIX/INETD/NONE (config file agrees with this) and always stops
indicating something went wrong (...probably terminated message), is
there anything in the server that will make him throw up his hands,
start a process and not respond to link programs and never complain
about not binding 7786???  I have not had time to check server code.

I am sure the issue is with me.  I am hoping it is something like I am
using wrong versions of some perl mods or something.  I noticed
something about SQL-Statement version being an issue. Again, I have
tried to load a lot of differnet module versions as well.

I am really looking forward to working with Interchange, but my
ignorance, or lack of skill, seems to be preventing me. :(

I come from J2EE background, but have done C/C++ PHP, ...etc.  Maybe I
am missing something critical regarding perl module install and
environment?????

Any help and criticism is appreciated.

Best regards,

Bob