[ic] Setting up catalogs on multiple domains

Rick O'Neil ic at oneil.org
Fri Dec 5 18:51:22 EST 2003

Hello all,

For several months now I've been running (quite successfully) an IC 4.9.8
catalog on a dedicated server (with virtual hosting of several other
domains as well). Now I want to set up a catalog for one of the other
domains but no matter how I configure things I can't get the second catalog
to run on the second domain - whenever I go to the customer entrance I get
an internal server error. Additionally, IC is running as the user
[firstuser] which is the user that is associated with [firstdomain.com].
The user [firstuser] and [seconduser] are both in the same group and I've
tried running makecat as both users with the same results. In other words:

http://www.[firstdomain.com]/cgi-bin/[firstcatalog]/index.html
The above works fine and has been working fine ever since the initial
catalog creation

http://www.[seconddomain.com]/cgi-bin/[secondcatalog]/index.html
This results in an internal server error with no errors in either the
interchange or catalog error logs.

However, if I instead run makecat and set the cgi directory to that of
[firstuser] it works fine.
Example: http://www.[firstdomain.com]/cgi-bin/[secondcatalog]/index.html

At first I assumed that this was a permissions issue and thus I used in the
[seconddomain] home directory:
chown -R [firstuser] catalogs/[secondcatalog]
chown -R [firstuser] cgi-bin

At his point I'm stumped since all of the catalog files are owned by the
user [firstuser] as is the cgi script. Running both catalogs from
[firstdomain.com] is not an option and I know other people have gotten this
working. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything in the
archives that has worked.

I would certainly appreciate any help anybody could provide. Let me know if
I need to provide any more information (like a log of my answers to makecat).

-Rick