[ic] Using MyODBC to update MySQL tables

Ed LaFrance edl at newmediaems.com
Fri Dec 5 20:32:45 EST 2003

At 05:31 PM 12/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>We're changing the way we update our products database. The old way was to
>upload a new products.txt and remove products.sql. The new way we're
>trying is using MyODBC to do updates on the products database directly.
>This is really helpful for us since we are syncing Interchange with a
>point-of-sale system, and updates are a lot smaller than sending the whole
>file each night.
>
>I'm wondering if there could be any problems with using this method. Say
>the update fails halfway, is products going to be ruined?
>
>Anyone have experience with this?
>
>Thanks,
>Josh

I've had one or two clients do this and they never reported a problem with
it. If you enable logging in the MyODBC control panel, you'll see that is
it simply issuing SQL statements to your server, and I would assume there
is ak-start-end-ak stuff around each one, so I think your are pretty well
covered as far as individual records go - but that is not from first-hand
experience.

- Ed L.

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          edl at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax