[ic] Interchange fails after second session with Japaneese locale

Ed LaFrance edl at newmediaems.com
Tue Dec 9 15:55:20 EST 2003

At 03:12 PM 12/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>  Interchange 4.9.8 on FreeBSD 4.6 with MySQL database is failing only on the
>second or third user session when using a Japanese locale for the front-end
>(store, not Admin UI).
>
>  Interchange keeps working fine, with Japaneese translations, for the first
>session. However, if you open up another browser and visit the same site you
>get an Internal Server Error, and the error.log reports this:
>
>nyn /nyn.cgi/index.html Runtime error: ¤it at C not a database, cannot use as
>products file
>
>  Even as the second visitor is getting only Internal Server Errors, the
> first
>visitor can still be browsing. If the first visitor closes his browser and
>then re-starts it, he'll start getting the same errors, too.
>
>  Restarting Interchange has no effect and neither does deleting the .gdbm
> file
>or the contents of the session and tmp directories. The only way to briefly
>"reset" the catalog is to temporarily switch to en_US and back, like this:
>
>  1) Restore the original locale.txt
>  2) Change the locale in variables.txt back to en_US
>  3) Delete locale.gdbm and variables.gdbm
>  3) Restart the server and check the English version.
>  4) Replace locale.txt with the Japaneese version, change LOCALE back to
>ja_JP.
>  5) Restart and check in browser. First session works fine, second session
>fails again.
>
>  There are three other English-language catalogs running on the same
>Interchange daemon installation, and they're unaffected, they don't even fail
>down when the Japaneese catalog does.
>
>  I've tried putting the locale table into a MySQL database instead of gdbm,
>but this doesn't change the odd behavior.
>
>  Does anyone know why Interchange might fail for subsequent sessions
> after the
>first, but in such a way that the first session can continue to work for as
>long as its still valid, _AND_ that the only way to reset the catalog is to
>temporarily switch back?
>
>Regards,
>--
>Chris Wenham - Synesmedia, Inc.

You've translated the ProductFiles directive to Japanese. Make sure the
ProductFiles row in the locale table is empty (except for the key, of
course) and restart IC. While you are in there, check for any other
directives which should not be translated.

- Ed L.

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          edl at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax