[ic] Re: Setting up catalogs on multiple domains

Ed LaFrance edl at newmediaems.com
Wed Dec 10 11:50:36 EST 2003

At 03:12 PM 12/9/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> >Rick,
> >
> >You might want to make sure you have a tmp directory under the catalog
> >and that you have a directory for your session cache for the second catalog.
> >
> >Also make sure that the permisions on your interchange socket allow the
> >second catalog to write to the socket. On some systems with plesk I've
> >had to set the permissions to 0666 using the following in the
> >interchange.cfg
> >
> >SocketPerms 0666
> >
> >Shawn Mathews
> >shawn at stuckinrealtime.us
>
>Shawn,
>
>Thanks again for the tips. I do in fact have a tmp directory and a session
>cache directory both under the catalog I'm trying to get going (as well as
>the one I have running successfully). I did add the socket permissions line
>to interchange.cfg, but that didn't seem to make any difference.
>
>Other information that I've uncovered in looking around that may be useful:
>
>I am in fact running plesk on my system - I found detailed instructions on
>Interchangeville for running IC on a plesk system:
>http://interchangeville.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=952
>
>The main thing that is different is I wasn't running in INET mode - I was
>running in UNIX mode. I tried running makecat as described in the message
>using INET mode, but that doesn't make any difference (I still get an
>internal server error when I try to go to the catalog). However, here is
>where it gets interesting - I have been running IC in UNIX mode for
>catalog1 on domain1 and I can run as many catalogs on domain1 as I want
>(while using UNIX mode). If I switch to INET mode then try to go to the
>catalogs the message I get for all domain1 catalogs is that the IC server
>is unavailable, but for catalog2 on domain2 I continue to get an internal
>server error.
>
>The other difference that I see is that the user interchange is running as
>isn't "interch" but rather the user for domain1. Since the user for domain1
>and domain2 are both a member of the "psacln" group I didn't think it
>necessary to run as "interch". However, the one difference I can think of
>is that "interch", as described in the Interchangeville post, would be a
>full shell account, but the account for domain1 is a plesk virtual host
>account - could this cause the problems I'm seeing? It seems unlikely to me
>since I did go ahead and create an "interch" user account and followed the
>directions there to a "t" and I continue to get the same behavior from IC
>(internal server error for catalog2 running on domain2).
>
>I appreciate your help so far, Shawn, but do you, or anybody else, have any
>other suggestions?
>
>-Rick

Dear Rick -

I run interchange on Plesk-managed systems. Try disabling suexec, which is
by default used by Plesk. Just located the binary 'suexec' (depending on
which Plesk dist you use, location can vary), and rename it to
suexec.disabled. Then restart apache, and check your catalog again. If you
still get a 500 error, try toggling the suid bit on the vlink file for the
catalog.

- Ed L.

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          edl at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax