[ic] Images and the Admin UI

Philip S. Hempel pshempel at linuxhardcore.com
Sat Dec 13 09:29:10 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 12:45, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Philip S. Hempel (pshempel at linuxhardcore.com):
> > I am using 5.0 pre cvs
> > Non-threaded perl 5.8.1
> >
> > Here is my dilemma, we have a number of products that use the same
> > image.
> >
> > Problem we have is in 4.9/5.0 the UI has changed in some way that allows
> > an upload of zero bit file essentially overwriting the original file or
> > zeroing out the file.
> >
> > What we do to cause this is to upload the image into one item, then edit
> > additional items placing the same image name into the image of the other
> > products that use it.
>
> Then you need to use a different widget than the imagehelper widget.
> The box you are typing into is not a text box, it is a file element.
> It is designed to upload a file, not input text info into the database.

So your saying I am trying to use a hammer when I need a to use a
screwdriver?

Well I kinda thought so. But what can you do to prevent people from
doing just what they think makes sense to them?

If I can use only one widget for the image function, (or can I use two?
I guess I will find out) what options do I have?

This became obvious as being a problem to me, when on of my IC customers
came back to me on the same point as above.
So I decided to asked others that I had seen using the same images for
multiple products and they told me, "It (using the upload function as a
dual function form) does not *work*, we have to upload the image each
time."

The fact that people ere even attempting to enter data into the field
seems that there was or is some form of expectation that the field may
work as a data entry field as well.

I think than the only choices I have is to some way keep data from being
entered into the field freehand and just tell them to upload each image
at least the expectation will not be there.

Thanks all