[ic] Linux/unix newbie -help w/ permissions

Sach Jobb interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Feb 10 20:10:01 2003

> I am trying to install Interchange on a linux box that I am just
> starting to learn how to administer.  The install seems to be going
> fine, but there are some problems coming up from not having proper
> permissions for the interch user.

The programs you are interested in are 'chown' (change ownership) and
'chmod' (change mode, i guess). Really this should be thought about
carefully, but a quick fix to your permissions problem could be achieved
with something like:

	'chown -R interch /my/interchange/dir'

Replace 'interch' with the name of the interhcange user on your system,
and '/my/interchange/dir' with the directory you installed interchange
into. You will need to be root to do this.

Hint: the man pages are your friend. 'man chown' and 'man chmod' will
probably do you good. Be patient, it will pay off in the end, and always
remember that the command line is your friend.

There is also this cheat sheet (http://sugoi.org/bits/index.php?bit_id=4)
for chmod, should you need it.

Good luck!

Cheers,