[ic] general info

D Zhang - msi interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Feb 10 23:48:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <caesar@balcp.com>
To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 12:52 PM
Subject: [ic] general info

> I want to set up an estore with 10.000
> products. Each product available in 8 different sizes. It means 80.000
> items. ....
> Could you suggest me to use the interchange or best should I fly lower and
> point in other directions? ( oscommerce, store front, miva?)

Either Interchange or osCommerce is good enough to handle your 80,000 items.

Both use databases. And both can use mySql which is available in many
hosting servers. osCommerce may save you disk space, since it uses one
graphic file for both thumbnail and large picture of a product, while
interchange needs 2 picture respectively. Given the number of products you
have, save on disk space is significant.

>To host it  absolutely needs a dedicated server?

Absolutely No before you build up traffic to your site. But, a site with
large disk space is needed

 >after the setup is needing a regular support ?

It depends on you. If you can use the admin interface, and as it is, you
don't need. If you want to explore the all features, functions the shopping
cart can offer, you may need regular support at least for certain period of
time. This is due to 1), lack of comprehensive or easy understandalbe
manual, 2) features implemented may not be without any problems, or need to
be customed.

Interchange need more support than osCommerce.

If you are not familiar with perl, osCommerce may be easier for you.

So, which one is better for you?

My suggestion:

1.    list out all features you want.
2    check interchange and osCommerce to see if they have the features you
want. If either one or both of them don't have the desiired features, what
are features, are they necessary? how difficult to work out?
3    Add some weight of yourself
        How much time to you have for playing the shopping cart yourself?
        Are you familiar with perl?

      If you don't have possitive answers to these two issue, go with
osCommerce.

David
dzhang@msihosting.com
http://www.msihosting.com
Expert -- ecommerce solution, interchange hosting.