[ic] Spiders gone berserk?

Steve interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Feb 11 11:36:00 2003

Recently I've been seeing many sessions from single IPs but not always
the same one. See below for an example output of my "current session"
display from the admin interface. The one I see lots of right now has
nslookup from "askfast.com" which sounds like a search engine.

All these sessions seem excessive and I can block the IP, but I don't
want to stop search engines from crawling my site. On the other hand it
goes on for hours and all this eats bandwidth and CPU time. Have other
seen such behavior?

DB

<<

I have been getting these about every 3-4 weeks, and it lasts 2-3 days. It
increases the user count by 500-600 users per day. It has not really been a
performacne issue, so I haven't worried about it. Actually, it should pay
off in the long run, since your web pages are getting indexed.

-Steve