[ic] Wanted: Support Group

Barry Treahy, Jr. interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Feb 13 15:59:00 2003

Devin Harris wrote:

> It is pretty obvious to me that there needs to be a separation between
> the advanced technical discussions going on here and a mail group for
> those people wanting to ask more simple questions about say, setup
> issues. There are enough geeks around that enjoy helping people with
> simple problems that would allow a beginners group to function and be
> of real assistance. But in this group it is obviuosly uncool to help
> those new to Interchange, an ego phenomenon that takes place in a lot
> of programming support groups like this. Do I think it is going to
> happen. No, obviously the problem stems from whoever has this setup.
> It is I am sure an extension of whoever created this program yet
> failed to take the time to produce any setup documentation.

Questions that have been asked hundreds of times over, sure people are
not going to be quick to repeat it once again since with rare exception,
the answer is available in the FAQ or by way of the archives.

This is not a shrink-wrap system and having a background in Perl is
certainly a benefit, not only in customizing, but in the ability to
understand what IC is doing.  You can do all the name calling you want
and create a 'beginners' list, but all you have done at that point is
created a society of the blind-leading-the-blind.

As for what you 'claim' this attitude stems from, I can tell you first
hand from the when I was a beginner.  I:

1. Didn't read the documents closely
2. Didn't stop to look how the documentation of a tag related to the
examples provided with the system OR even look at the sources
3. Didn't research the prior postings for similiar situations and solutions
4. I presumed that the list was responsible for answering all of my
questions, even those that I earnestly made efforts to answer on my own
5. and like you, complained and whined to the list as well as making
acusations that certainly will not soliciate aid.

I'm not accusing you of all of this, but what I have learned is that the
folks that produced MV and then continued to development into what it is
today as IC have done a tremendous job, but they too have a life and I
personally have done nothing to contribute to their bottom line in the
way of economic support (ie. Consulting).

Over the four years that I have been using this system, has the list
been a help?  Yes, when I've first done my homework.  Is the
documentation perfect?  No, but it is scores better than four years
ago.  Could I have done the sites I've done without learning Perl?  No,
so get a book and start studying OR pay for someone to do it!  Could all
of IC be better?  Certainly, are you offering to help them?  I for one
haven't the time in a day...

I suspect that the only one with an 'ego' on this matter is yourself for
presuming that you have all the answers, yet fail to understand the
question...

Regards,

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr  *  Midwest Microwave  *  Vice President & CIO

E-mail: Treahy@mmaz.com * Phone: 480/314-1320 * FAX: 480/661-7028