[ic] Writing a new payment module - please help!

dzhang-msi interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Feb 14 02:08:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "interch" <interch@valley-internet.com>
To: <interchange-users@icdevgroup.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 2:52 AM
Subject: Re: [ic] Writing a new payment module - please help!

> > DATA MATCHED - passed all checks
> > SEC CODE MATCH - security code valid, but address invalid
> > ADDRESS MATCH ONLY - address valid, but security code invalid
> > DATA NOT MATCHED - both security code and address invalid
> > DATA NOT CHECKED

Need to look at their API for definition of "security code", it could be
ccv2, and the address refers to (zip && street address || zip only || street
address only)

> > What is the point in checking this response *after* a transaction has
been
> > authorized? Settlements occur automatically on the same day. I would
have
> > thought the messages above would only be returned upon a failed
> transaction.

You can response to avoid lose. Say, the transaction is authorized, but no
avs or other equivelent checking such security code are not verified. Then,
you can do an void and prevent it from being settled, or later, you can
credit it back if it's settled. This gives you a way to reduce loss. If your
transaction is from a stolend credit card, it'll be charged back sooner or
later, by then, you'll not only loss the merchandise shipped, but also a
charged back fee, typically $25 or $30.

So, you should make judge yourself whether to take those transactions whose
avs or other security checking are not verified.

> > What does Interchange do with the three avs values, and why should they
be
> > returned upon a *successful* transaction?
> >
> > I'm very confused!

Banks will execute the transaction despite of an unverified avs. It's yours
responsibility to use the security checking. Banks will take the money back
later wihtout asking you if their customer files a charge back request.

David
dzhang@msihosting.com
http://www.msihosting.com
Expert -- ecommerce solutions, interchange hosting