[ic] Server Configuration Ideas

Daniel Thompson interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Feb 18 10:00:01 2003

Hello List,

I'm writing you all because I need some opinions about setting up our
production catalog hosting configuration.

Right now I have 6 new servers with the same basic configuration...

All are uniprocessor 512k cache P3s. Half are 1.13GHz the other half are
1.23GHz.

All have 512Mb memory and 20Gb mirrored ide raid arrays. One machine has a
tape drive for doing backups of the other machines.

I have three catalogs / domains I'll be hosting at first. I'll be running
Interchange with PostgreSQL and using SQL-Ledger for my accounting backend.

My question is this... What would be the best configuration to setup?

Should I run one catalog / domain per server each running a local copy of
Interchange, PostgreSQL and SQL-Ledger?

-OR-

Should I have one SQL Server running PostgreSQL? and one server running all
the catalogs? Maybe a dedicated server for hosting catalog images? What
about SSL on a separate machine? (Bad idea maybe?)

What is the most scaleable configuration etc?

There is more than one way to skin this cat so I'm hoping for suggestions
from the group.

Does anyone know of any high-volume sites and how their configured?

Scalability, fault tolerance, and flexibility are my goals.

Please let me know what you all think.

-Daniel

danht@callthenet.com

 P.S. I'll also be hosting my own DNS, Mail, php-bbs forums also.