[ic] Slightly OT - ChainedSSL

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Feb 19 13:14:00 2003

Hi all -

In case anyone is curious, I've installed a ChainedSSL cert from
freessl.com at https://www.newmediaems.com. Since most IC users utilize a
secure checkout page, I thought this might be of interest to the IC
community. The ChainedSSL product is SSLv3, using an intermediate cert from
Baltimore Security. Given the low cost ($9 per year) it could be a good
option for those who want to dabble in the ecommerce experience a bit first.

For what it's worth, I've obtained the $120+/year GeoTrust QuickSSL product
before, and freessl.com actually did a more thorough job in verifying my
identity than GeoTrust does with QuickSSL. The ChainedSSL cert worked well
with recent versions of IE (5.x, 6.x), Netscape (4.x), Mozilla (1.x) and
Opera (5.x) on Windows; I have yet to dust off the iMac and try some
browsers there, but I will soon. It would be interesting to hear reports
from those using other browsers and platforms.

- Ed L.

463 Main St., Suite D         eCommerce | Consulting | Hosting
Placerville, CA  95667        edl@newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (530) 622-9426 Fax