[ic] Performance issue pulling price from ERP system

Tim Nelson interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Feb 19 14:15:01 2003

I looking for some advice on how to handle pulling real-time pricing
from an ERP system in "bulk".  Currently, I have:

CommonAdjust   [user-price]

and [user-price] is a usertag that calls out via a socket to an ERP
system to pull the customer's price.

This works fine for the late-model POS systems I interact with since
they have little overhead to pull this off.  However, I have one POS/ERP
platform that is running Business Basic and the overhead to start
up and pull a price for a given customer/item is significant enough
that the cart and result pages crawl.

I want to invent some "pre-fetch" type of logic that could request
multiple item prices from the ERP system as a single request, push
those values into the session, and then have [user-price] just pull
from a session buffer.

Am I making sense here?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim Nelson