[ic] Interchange on FreeVSD?

Lyn St George interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Feb 19 19:22:00 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:27:54 +0000, Interchange user wrote:

>> Depends on whether they install this part of the virtual server as links
>> from the host or as real files in your own userspace ..
>
>Thanks; that's what I was getting at. So there's no problem with having a
>complete (real) Interchange install in an individual userspace, independent
>of the 'skel'? I thought maybe this wouldn't work because Interchange needs
>to run as a daemon.

Can't really speak for FreeVSD as it's now a long time since I used
it, but this is how it works with our vservers. Most of a vserver consists
of hardlinks from the host, but selected components are real and
Interchange runs very happily inside a vserver.

You should be aware of the history of FreeVSD: near the end of 2001
the developers decided to take it commercial (ProVSD) and the
user reaction to this was, basically, fury (it was GPL and incorporated
*lots* of user input). The user community then split off into another
direction but fizzled out. Basically, there is no user support for it
any more and it is best considered 'dead'. There are far better
implementations of the same idea available.
-
Cheers
Lyn St George
+ http://www.zolotek.net .. eCommerce hosting, consulting