[ic] Password-protecting part of a catalog

Bill Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Feb 25 09:29:01 2003

I imagine a simple case of the login variable would start you with an
if then construct. if user = whatever
                    then page code
                    else " sorry no access allowed code"
                   fi
but that gets kinda complicated when you get multiple doorways to a
single page. maybe you need to do something like an access level
variable that equals a number. stick a default value on everybody but
special customers, then set numeric values to each page. Then figure
out a way to look at the number assigned to the user and compare it to
the page's value. less than number means you can have it, greater than
means no, that sort of logic. Don't forget about search returns, you
may have to assign the value to each database item!!! I don't know
enough perl to tell you how to write it, and I don't know enough about
your site design to say if it will work for you, but in a simple
layout, that oughta do it.
Maybe one of the perl guru types on the list could help you with the
code. You did ask "where to start" ;).
Bill
www.crystalcreations.com