[ic] Freight

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Feb 26 16:10:01 2003

Claritinet.com [blairacampbell@shaw.ca] wrote:

> > My dictionary says they are the same thing:
> >
> > freight, n.
> > 2. Commercial transportation of goods.
> >
> > shipping, n.
> > 1. The act or business of transporting goods.
> >
> Well that gets me thinking that maybe I should just have it in the same
> calculation. IE shipping and freight on the checkout page instead of just
> shipping now. I could just add it throught the normal shipping/admin.
>
> Thanks for looking up those defenitions. This whole request by my customer
> has seemed odd. Now I know why!

Perhaps an explanation or example of your customer's definition of
"shipping" vs. "freight" will help.  Both terms should really refer to
the same thing (postage cost) and should be handled by the standard
mechanism.

If you have an example of where "shipping" is different from "freight"
then it would be interesting to see it.  Understanding this difference
will make it easier for people to offer advice.