[ic] Uploading images with interchange 4.9.3

Jonathan Clark interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jan 1 06:41:00 2003

> > I know this topic has come up before, but I can't seem to find a
> > solution to my problem.  When I was using interchange 4.8 I was not
> > able
> > to upload images from the admin page.  The way I solved it was by
> > changing the "image upload" option to "image listing", creating the
> > new
> > item, saving it, going back in and selecting "new image" from the
> > list
> > and then selecting the image to upload.
> >
> > My ISP has upgraded me to 4.9.3 and it no longer works.  There is not
> > an
> > option for "new image" and when I click on upload after selecting the
> > proper image I get the following error:
> >
> > Error writing file images/items/product.jpg
> >
> > My error log shows the following:
> >
> > failed to write images/items/product.jpg: Permission denied
> > backup=0
> > Could not open>  file '>images/items/product.jpg': Permission denied
> >
> > My permissions for the images and items folders is 775.
> >
> > Can anyone help me with this issue?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Nick
> >
> Maybe I am out of my area on this, but I never knew you could upload
> images to the www space from the admin UI. I thought it only uploaded
> the pictures to the non www space.  Well a solution to your problem is
> to just ftp your pictures over. thats what i do. or upload to the non
> www space and make a symbolic link to from your /www/images/whatever to
> your /catalog/images/whatever/

Strictly speaking, and under normal settings, its true that you can't upload
images outside of the catalog space; this is a security feature of
Interchange. However, you can symlink from the www space, images directory
back into the catalog space. That way, interchange places an uploaded file
in <catroot>/images/whatever and this appears in html space.

Being unable to upload images usually results from either a missing symlink,
or incorrect permissions in the images directories (the interchange user
needs to be able to write to them).

Jonathan
www.webmaint.net