[ic] How to create mailing lists?

Jonathan Clark interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jan 9 04:14:01 2003

> > > I see the functionality in the latest demo to craft content for an
> > > existing mailing list, but how does one create/delete/update
> the mailing
> > > lists themselves?
> > >
> > > I tried to find info on this by searching help and the
> mailing lists but
> > > failed.
> >
> > You weren't thinking of using Interchange to arbitrarily send email
> > to people who didn't specifically request it, I presume. 8-) I wouldn't
> > like it to be used in that way.
> >
> Of course not.Just those who are dying to buy my client's products. :)
>
> > WRT what is there, people automatically add themselves to them as they
> > check out, providing you have the mail list functionality enabled on the
> > checkout page. You can do that by setting the variable
> > CHECKOUT_MAIL_LIST in catalog.cfg or variable.txt.
> >
> Only at checkout is possible? What if I want users to be able to sign up
> from the home page, without buying anything? Or when submitting an email
> via a form?

Yes. The user can edit their preferences using the customer services section
once they have logged in.

> > The actual checkout page code is now in include/checkout/mailing_status
> > in the foundation demo. I can't remember if the mail list adder is
> > enabled by default. Since you ask the question, I presume it is not...
> > nope. I just added it to the "Mailings" preference area.
>
> I'm still not clear on how to create the mailing lists via the admin
> pages. Does it have to be done by editing files directly?

Mailing list preferences are stored with the other user's details in the
userdb table, but you don't need to edit this directly. Just go to the
Customers section of the UI, select a customer, and then click preferences.
Its on the email preferences page.

Jonathan
www.webmaint.net