[ic] who is supposed to run bin/makecat?

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jan 9 12:07:00 2003

At 08:01 PM 01/08/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I installed Interchange from interchange-4.8.6.tar.gz
>via configure with no args as the root user.
>
>However, then I wanted to run "bin/makecat". But some aspects of this
>program seem more oriented towards a normal user and others oriented
>towards root.
>
>For example, BaseDir defaults to ~/catalogs, which of course would mean
>that some data entry/marketing expert might type bin/makecat and be own
>his way.
>
>However, doing this, leads to problems that can only be solved by running
>as root:

When you installed interchange as root, the configure script should have
asked for / created the interch user to own the interchange server process.
Then when you run makecat as root, it should have given you a choice of
operation modes for the catalog (M, G and something else I don't recall
right now) and in the course of events asked for the user ID for catalog
ownership, etc. You need only read the help in the prompts and answer
accordingly.

- Ed L.

463 Main St., Suite D         eCommerce | Consulting | Hosting
Placerville, CA  95667        edl@newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (530) 622-9426 Fax