[ic] Talking about cPanel -- possible to make a deal?

D Zhang - msi interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Jan 16 03:00:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon" <prtyof5@attglobal.net>

> > To what I can see, there are 3 main problems when interchange is under
> > cPanel:
> >
> > 1.    permition settings of files
>
> Isn't that a cPanel configuration issue ? Or rather the configuration of
file
> permissions  when the cart is created or some time like that. In any case
should be easy to
> resolve.

To be practical, tt should be some how made workable settings as default,
rather than who ever's configuration.

> > 2.    unable to use the restart command by a cart user
>
> This can be done at the hosting company pretty simply I believe.
> Possibly as a separate script.  I've seen it as an added feature to the
> restart section of the 'Web Host Manager' tool... don't know anything
> about that tool though.

I saw one as "reset" but not "retart". It removes everything, and builds a
fresh cart.
I would not expect every or most hosting company  with cpanel to make a
script.

> > 3.    UI not accessible to users.
>
> It is accessible to the owners of the shopping cart with cart permissions.
> Not sure what you mean here.

Sorry, what I tried to say was the shared parts in lib. I didn't look at
details. But, it seems that it could give a user more control if  some of
them move to cart directory.

> > Is it possible that icdevelgroup negotiates with cPanel to make a deal?
> >
> > There is advantage of this.
> >
> > 1    cPanel does make the interchange more popular
> > 2    cPanel has good control on collecting license fee.
> >
> > If a deal can be reached, say $0.10 or $0.20 or so per month per
> > installation of cPanel goes to icdevelgroup, and the two parties work
> > together to solve the main problems to certern extend, it may be good to
> > both sides. icdevelgroup can use the fund to do many things, say:
working
> > out a hard copy manuel, have some one working full time for coordinating
the
> > integration, etc.
> >
> > Just an idea to make things better. I don't know if it may or may not be
> > practical. Or, even it's tried already.
> >

>     Of course I would not be in a position to comment to the above section

That let me wonder if I were in a position to suggest it. I am  not a member
of icdevelgroup, but simply an interchange user. I love interchange. I
appreciate icdevelgroup's work very much, and wish they get necessary fund.
Now, there is no support from some major (or well known) commercial companpy
(I don't know though, I just know that RedHat stopped support). Things may
become difficult. Just think, a deal with cpanel could be good to every one,
generate constant fund, more or less, and make something become possible.

David
dzhang@msihosting.com
http://www.msihosting.com
Expert -- ecommerce solution, interchange hosting